Saturday 4 May 2013

"Sisters" - A Poem




Sisters

There are many things in this great world
that are wonderful and good,
and there are many things in this great world
that to change them, we wish we could.

Our sisterhood falls among both of these;
Our relationship is unique.
Because of our many differences,
Our casual feelings change from week to week.

There is one thing, however,
That can’t be changed, in this great world,
and that is the love I have for you,
My sister, a woman, once girl.

And Janice, whatever you’re thinking or feeling right now,
Please know that I’m being sincere;
You have only me and I have only you
To call my “sister dear”.

So, putting our many differences aside,
There’s one thing that I’d like you to remember:
A good and wonderful thing in this world is you (whom I love),
And that, as sisters, we’ll be forever.



I wrote this poem for my sister, Janice, after taking her out for her birthday many years ago (in 1995). 

6 comments:

  1. Aww...I have one sister too. It's a wonderful rollercoaster relationship where we can totally piss each other off and know that there is absolutely nothing that can break our bond. As my sister says, "Blood is thicker than mud," LOL. Now that our mother has passed and Dad is in his last years, having each other has become even more precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I don't see eye to eye most of the time, and we fight like cats with claws, but we are sisters, and nothing will ever change that. She loves me, too, even if she won't admit it! LOL

      We are fortunate to still have both of our parents. However, I am sure our bond will strengthen when we do not. I agree that time, and our lives, are precious!

      Delete
  2. Awesome poem for your sister. I hope she enjoyed it. I have a sister and a half one, I know of but don't know her persoanlly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is not one for sappy poems, but I did give her a copy of this poem back in 1995!

      I am sorry that you don't know your half-sister. Have you had any contact with her?

      Delete
  3. I did one on sisters as well it is on my blog. sisters are good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are! I'm off to check yours out now... :)

      Delete